next article

Family wants police to investigate French hospital after man's death

A family from Ho Chi Minh City has complained to the Ministry of Public Security that the private French-Vietnam Hospital was disrespectful and uncooperative after causing the death of a relative.

The family of Mai Trung Kien, 57, who died at the hospital after an appendectomy on August 11, said the hospital, known as FV, had previously accepted responsibility for the death, before changing its tune at a meeting on Thursday, news website VnExpress reported.

Test results released by the Ho Chi Minh City Health Department on Wednesday said the patient died of shock from internal bleeding after the surgery.

The victim's daughter Mai Thi Thu Trang said the surgeon in charge, Dr. Le Duc Tuan, had met with the family on August 18, and had "admitted that his irresponsibility and low capacity had caused the death."

Pham Thi Thanh Mai, the hospital's managing director, and Jean Marcel Guillon, the French general director, had also accepted responsibility for the death, promising to punish all doctors and staff involved, and compensate to the family, she said.

"But what happened at the meeting on August 30 was totally different. The hospital did not show respect and did not cooperate with us to solve the problem," Trang said.

She said Guillon had promised to publicly apologize and announce his responsibility.

But Guillon then only told the media that he had "deep sympathy" for the family and that "the hospital is still investigating the case with the Ho Chi Minh City Health Department."

Trang said the family wants the police to put the hospital under investigation.

The hospital has been in hot water ever since Trang complained to the city health authorities and the Ministry of Health, blaming the hospital's misdiagnosis and delayed action for Kien's death.


Doctors lose work permits for maternal deaths in central Vietnam

She said Kien developed chest pains and a stomachache two days after the surgery on August 8, and FV doctors said he had a heart attack and transferred him to Tam Duc, a famous private cardiology hospital.

There, doctors found no signs of a heart attack, only internal bleeding from the surgery. Kien was then taken back to FV where he died.

Like us on Facebook and scroll down to share your comment