next article

Ceiling panel falls, injures 6 students in Vietnam pre-school
By Dang Hanh - Thanh Nien News -
A ceiling panel at a nursery in the Mekong Delta province of Long An suddenly fell in the middle of a class on Wednesday, causing head injures to 6 toddlers seated below it.
A teacher of the Can Duoc district’s Tan Trach nursery told Thanh Nien News that the 1-meter heatproof gypsum ceiling panel collapsed at around 8:30am in the morning, when the kids were just beginning class.
According to the headmistress Tran Thi Duy Linh, one of the six children had to have three stitches sewn into his or her head, while the rest only suffered minor abrasions.
All six were discharged from the hospital at around 3pm the same day, Linh added.
The head of Can Duoc education department, Le Phuoc Su, said that the bolts that held the panel in place broke.
According to Su, the newly-built nursery has been put into use for two years, and hadn't experienced any structural problems until the accident.
Su also claimed to have had the other ceiling panels in the nursery carefully checked after the unexpected incident.