next article

Two children die after eating toad eggs

Two children in the Mekong Delta's Dong Thap Province died Sunday after eating toad eggs.

Huynh Thi Kim Cuc, 25, the mother of the children was also sent to hospital in Ho Chi Minh City after eating the toad porridge she prepared. She said her husband brought home a toad and that she never knew that toad eggs were poisonous and should not be eaten.

Her four-year-old daughter died at home around half an hour after having two bowls of the porridge. She suffered from stomachache, diarrhea and vomiting. Cuc's one-year-old son died on the way to hospital.

Cuc ate less and is recovering.

Toad meat is safe and high in protein but a toad's skin, eggs, liver and bile can be fatal if eaten, doctors said.